You probably know more about investments than insurance. What if two insiders compared and contrasted for you? That’s what happened on Qb, a talk show about money.
You’re sold nothing except the merits of fee-only advice.
BackgroundThe host, Joe Barbieri, has insider knowledge of the investment world. His LinkedIn profile shows where he’s worked. Recognize any of the companies? Joe now does true fee-only financial planning as Joe The Investor. “True” means he sells no products.
I designed life & health insurance products and helped advisors sell them (see LinkedIn for the companies). Now I perform fee-only Actuarial Insurance Reviews. You can take the prescription to your old advisor, find a new one or use the Taxevity pharmacy.
The InterviewIn the wide-ranging 45 minute interview, Joe asked a series of well-considered questions. He also shares his perspectives from the investment world.
We covered topics like
- the cost of “free” advice
- high investment expenses for mutual funds
- the effect of advice on your returns
- why after-sales service is poor
- active vs. passive investing in life insurance
- buying term and investing the difference
- why investing in life insurance costs more
- the merit of getting your insurance contract reviewed before you sign
- advisors who sell insurance and investments
- why life insurance allows so much tax-sheltered growth
- whole life insurance
- the lure of glitzy strategies
- the importance of corporate governance
- what insurers can do to your investment choices
- the marketing acumen in the financial sector
- insurance price hikes: (i) the reasons, (ii) advisor inertia and (iii) what to do
FormatYou've got your choice of video or podcast. Since there's nothing to see besides two people talking, you won't miss much by listening. For the podcast, I reduced the background noise, adjusted the volume and did some editing.
I’ve only been interviewed on camera once before. I still don’t know where to put my hands. That’s partially because I didn’t know what would show in the recording.
What other questions do you have?
direct download | Internet Archive page | iTunes